PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, October 3, 2014

Will's Bedroom Reveal

I'm finally sharing a few photos of Will's room! It has been a work in progress and I've been collecting and putting things together over the past year. I probably could have finished it much quicker than I did, but if you've ever designed anything for yourself you know how hard it can be. It's much easier to design for others. Because we moved a lot over the past several years, I've never really completed a space for Will so I thought it was time. I knew I wanted a space that could grow with him and reflect his personality. I also wanted a space that felt light and bright with a bit of fun. He is a four year old boy after all! I think spaces for kids don't have to feel too childish and themed, but should have some elements of playful and fun. While there are still a few things left to finish like window treatments, brass knobs for the dresser and I would like to eventually get a headboard, but for now I'm happy with how it came together.
 See more photos after the jump...



One of the first things we did was paint the room a light gray. I ended up going with Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray which is a cooler gray, but I like how it plays with the blues in the room. I wanted something fairly neutral in case we decide to change rooms down the road. Once Lucas gets a little older, I plan on the boys sharing a room. I also came up with this very generic moodboard to give me a jumping off point. 

I first spotted this kite from Haptic Lab on Cup of Jo and thought it would be perfect to hang in the corner (although at times I'm tempted to cut it down and fly it). It naturally spins around and is the first thing you see when you walk in the room.

The poster I found at my favorite antique shop here in Minneapolis, Hunt and Gather and is a reflection of Will's love for books.
This corner was originally intended for a desk and we've since changed it and added a little play table, but I set it up as a little reading corner. The whale and floor pillow I made, the starry pillow is from my shop, and the little fox I got on amazon.

The gallery wall is composed of things I liked, but also that have some sort of meaning to Will. The elephant print from Creature Comforts is called "William Rides a Bicycle" and brings a bit of whimsy to the space. The red painting was made by Will and is his favorite color, the "Pretzel Print" and "Be You" prints I designed and the hot air balloon picture I took when Will went to watch his dad take a ride in a hot air balloon. The ledge is actually a picture ledge from Ikea and I found the perfect size animal figurines from diapers.com.

The wall map I got for $5 from Staples! It probably needs to be framed eventually but for now I just put it up. It's fun because every night I show Will new places on the map. We chose to put Will in a Queen bed so when we have guests stay, Will lets them sleep in his bed and he sleeps in our room. The duvet and sheets are West Elm, the blanket is from Target, the pillow is from my shop, and the pirate is from Green Stitches. There isn't a place for a nightstand because it's too small of a room so instead I installed this sconce light from Urban Outfitters. Still missing: headboard and window treatments.


I love to add plants to my spaces because they bring in some life. This one I got from a local nursery. The marbles I bought on amazon and put in a jar and the little wooden car was a gift from his dad. We also tried to organize the books by color (such an easy way to style and make a space a little prettier).

The coat rack from Land of Nod is perfect for coats (we have a lot here!) and backpacks and adds the perfect little pop of color.

The vintage ship prints I found on etsy and framed. Here's also where we keep our collection of Dr. Seuss books (my favorites to read!) The dominoes are mine from when I was little that I put in a clear box from The Container Store. When styling kid spaces I like to use toys for the accessories.

 This lamp is from Ikea and is such a find at $40 and the metal letters are from my days of working at Anthropologie

 I'm happy to call it "complete" for now:) Stay tuned for Lucas' room coming soon.
 

5 comments:

Caitlin at Salty Oat said...

Such a great space! It's so bright and airy, and I especially love the pretzel print!

Whitney said...

Great job!! Nice touches.

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Gorgeous room Ali! Love every single detail, you did amazing!

Ali said...

Thanks ladies for your kind comments!

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Will cheat some ideas for my kid room.